Home  |  About Us  |  Museums  |  Locations  |  Contact  


All the participating museums have important historic collections in their care, are housed in architecturally-significant structures, and have made a commitment to working collaboratively with other museums.

Woodlawn Museum, Ellsworth, Maine Abbe Museum, Bar Harbor, Maine
The Woodlawn Museum (Black House) was home to three generations of the Black family. Now a historic house museum and public park, the stately structure was built between 1824 and 1827 by Colonel John Black, who amassed a fortune through land and timber dealings. His grandson, who bequeathed the house as a museum, was a wealthy Bostonian who built a famed North Shore Shingle Style cottage,"Kragside," and willed a major portion of his estate to the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. The Museum contains original family furnishings and was opened to the public in 1930.
Phone: 207-667-8671
Visit the web site >>
The Abbe Museum has extensive collections documenting Maine's Native American history and culture, and offers innovative exhibitions and programs on Native American heritage. The Museum has two locations, one in downtown Bar Harbor, and another at Sieur de Monts Spring in Acadia National Park featuring early twentieth-century presentations of Native American archeology in Maine. The downtown Museum, housed in an architecturally significant (1893) structure, offers dynamic and stimulating exhibitions, public programs, teacher workshops, and special events.
Phone: 207-288-3519
Visit the web site >>
Ruggles House, Columbia Falls, Maine Burnham Tavern Museum, Machias, Maine
The Ruggles House is one of Maine's most important Federal-period houses. The house was built in 1818-20 for Judge Thomas Ruggles, a wealthy lumber dealer, postmaster, captain of the local militia, and Justice of the Court of Sessions for Washington County. The House was occupied by three generations of the Ruggles family until 1920, when Ruggles descendant, Mary Ruggles Chandler, Maine's first registered woman pharmacist, led an ambitious campaign to restore the House. Restoration was completed in 1951, when the house was opened to the public.
Phone: 207-483-4637
Visit the web site >>
The Burnham Tavern, built in 1770, is the oldest museum in the group of seven museums. In the tap room of the Tavern, on June 12, 1775, local citizens plotted the first naval battle of the Revolutionary War, which resulted in the capture of the British vessel, the HMS Margaretta. Today, the Museum houses valuable historic collections, and from its gambrel roof to its millstone doorsteps epitomizes American architecture in its infancy. The Tavern is one of 21 homes in the United States listed as a significant national site in American Revolutionary War history.
Phone: 207-255-6930
Visit the web site >>
Roosevelt Campobello International Park,
Campobello, New Brunswick
Tides Institute and Museum of Art,
Eastport, Maine
The Roosevelt Cottage is a 34-room Shingle Style cottage, built in 1897, that was a summer retreat of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt and their children. The house appears as it did when the Roosevelts lived there, with most of the original family furnishings, and is the quintessence of late 19th-century summer "cottage" style. The site contains a park and gardens, with a visitors center offering exhibitions and films. Roosevelt visited Campobello Island from 1883, when he was one year old, until the summer of 1921, when we was stricken with polio. He returned in 1936 and 1939 during his presidency for brief visits.
Phone: 506-752-2922
Visit the web site >>
The Tides Institute and Museum of Art is housed in a Victorian brick and stone landmark, the 1887 former Eastport Savings Bank building, part of a National Register Historic District, established in Eastport in 1982. Its cultural collections reflect the cross-border Passamaquoddy Region and suggest the broader cultural ties existing along the U.S./Canada northeast coast. The institute maintains a cultural research library including a collection of architectural photographs that document the region. A series of changing exhibitions takes place during the summer months.
Phone: 207-853-4047
Visit the web site >>
Waponahki Museum and Resource Center,
Sipayik (Pleasant Point), Maine
The museum has on display Maine Native tools, baskets, beaded artifacts, historic photos, and arts and crafts. Mannequins, whose features are designed from actual Passamaquoddy people, are placed in settings depicting the day-to-day lifestyle of yore. The museum seeks to portray Maine Native People in a positive light. Photos of Native ancestors who fought in American wars--The Revolutionary War, The Civil War, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm--dot the walls. The museum has undertaken the preservation of the Passamaquoddy language. A written version now exists and the vocabulary continues to grow. The Passamaquoddy Dictionary is being updated. The Museum also sells publications, audio tapes and CDs for learning the Passamaquoddy language and culture.
Phone: 207-853-4001
Visit the web site >>
© 2008